Legion of Mary
Share this Ministry
A world-wide association of Catholic men and women who offer their services to their pastor to support him in performing spiritual works in the parish through consecration to Mary. Her help develops greater holiness in their lives, while spreading profound devotion to her as she leads us to Jesus.
Get in Touch
Meetings each Thursday, 6:30-8:00pm at St. Thomas Aquinas in the Large Conference Room
The primary mission of the Legion is the glory of God through the holiness of its members, giving the character of Apostleship to inflame and diffuse a developing force for the apostolic spirit.
Founded by Frank Duff in Dublin Archdiocese on September 7, 1921 wit a group of Catholic laywomen and Fr. Michael Toher. Mr. Duff’s profound insights into the role of the lay faithful in the mission of the Church form the basis of the Legion’s works.
The Spirit of the Legion is that of Mary herself. Especially, they aspire to her profound humility, her perfect obedience, her angelic sweetness, her continual prayer, her universal mortification, her spotless purity, her heavenly wisdom, her self-sacrificing, courageous love of God, and above all, her faith.
Some of the ways the legion helps in the growth of true community spirit:
- Conducting religious instruction
- Visitation of the sick, handicapped,elderly, including arranging a visit of a priest
- Collaboration in every apostolic & missionary undertaking sponsored by the parish to help bring every soul in to the protective network of the Church
- Promotion of Catholic associations and societies
- Promotion of practice of daily Mass and devotion to the Blessed Sacrament
- Filial love towards Pastors of the Church, Spiritual Fathers and Shepherds
The Legion of Mary is open to all Catholics who:
- Practice their Faith
- Are filled by the desire to fulfill their role in the Church’s Apostolate
- Are prepared to fulfill each duty active membership involves
- Are men and women 18 years of age or older — Senior Praesidia
- Under 18 — Junior Praesidia
- 3 month period before entry
- Formal admission with Legion Promise
Duties of Active Membership
- Attendance of the weekly meeting
- Daily recitation of the Catena and Rosary
- Weekly performance of an assigned apostolic work
- Obligation of confidentiality (meeting and work are not discussed with others)
Auxiliaries are the Legion’s praying army. They associate themselves by undertaking a service of prayer in its name. There is no age limit. Its service consists in the recitation of the Tessera prayers and 5 decades of the Rosary. Persons already saying a rosary for any intention may become auxiliaries without obligation to say an additional rosary. Open to priests, religious, and laity.
“Mary Immaculate, Mediatrix of all Graces, I place at you disposal such portions of my prayers, works and sufferings as is permitted to me.” -Legion Handbook
“All holiness consists in love of God and all love of God consists in doing His will.” –St. Alphonsus Ligouri
“All Christians in any state or walk of life are called to the fullness of Christian life and to the perfection of love… all the faithful are invited and obliged to holiness and the perfection of their own state of life.” -Lumen Gentium, 40,42
“To be able to discover the actual will of the Lord in our live always involves…:
- A receptive listening to the Word of God and the Church
- Fervent and constant prayer
- Recourse to a wise and loving Spiritual guide
- And a faithful discernment of the gifts and talents given by God.”
-Christifidelis Laici, 58 JP II, 1988
Following her, you stray not;
Invoking her, you despair not;
Thinking of her, you wander not;
Shielded by her, you fear not;
Guided by her, you grow not weary;
Favored by her, you reach the goal.